Sunday, March 7, 2010

Acquire the Fire at the Morrison Center






Our youth group (Momentum Youth Ministries) attended Acquire the Fire at the Morrison Center Friday and Saturday. I did do a little shuttling of the youth to and from the event. I was also attending the event as a Compassion International Advocate. Typically at these events you are manning a table and encouraging attendees to sponsor children. Lindsey (pictured with me above) is the individual who meets up with the venue and sets up the table and is in charge of the supplies. The great thing about having a point person is I can show up and everything is ready to roll. She did a great job setting up the display for Compassion.

On Friday we had a very quiet table most of the evening from 6 to 10 p.m. However, we did manage five sponsorships which Lindsey said was unusual for a Friday evening with this venue. On Saturday I had the early shift with Lindsey until almost 2 p.m. By the time I left we had about 23 sponsorships total. Their goal was anywhere from about 32 to 40+ of the weekend. The event was sold out and it was wonderful to see how many youth were interested in making a difference. One Act = One Life. I am hoping Lindsey will text me with a total for the event in Boise so I can post an update. It looked like we were headed in the right direction.

For me personally it is so difficult to see the pictures on the packets of the kids needing sponsorship. I just want to scoop them up and bring them all home with me. My heart really goes out to the little ones who have been waiting 6+ months for sponsorship. Although they are in the program and are receiving the benefits from Compassion they are missing the love and encouragement they would receive from a sponsor.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails